vehicle property taxIPVA) is one of the main taxes in Brazil and also one of the biggest burdens on the pockets of citizens. Therefore, many people are looking for ways to get it Discounts and even exemptions of this annual fee.
There are some ways to pay lower taxes and even leave it completely zero. Given that IPVA is the responsibility of each state, the requirements for obtaining the benefit depend on where the driver lives.
Discount on IPVA
In São Paulo, the government offers a discount of up to 50% on tax for property owners. Hybrid or electric cars. The measure aims to encourage the purchase of cars that do not use fossil fuels and pollute the environment.
Earlier this year, the Sao Paulo government also granted discounts of up to 9% on IPVA for the January cash payment. The interest was three times higher than it was in 2021, considering the rise in registered car prices during the pandemic.
exemption from IPVA
Almost every state in the country has a rule Driver exemption To pay the tax after a certain period of manufacture of the car. In some places, you can stop paying the tax when the car is 10 years old, while in others it must be at least 30 years old.
Here’s how it works in each federal unit:
- 10-year exemption from manufacture: Roraima, Rio Grande do Norte and Amapá.
- 15-year exemption from manufacturing: Rio de Janeiro, Piauí, Paraíba, Barra, Maranhão, Espírito Santo, Federal District, Ceará, Bahia, Amazonas, Rondônia, Goiás and Sergipe.
- Exemption 18 years from manufacture: Mato Grosso.
- Exemption for 20 years of manufacture: Rio Grande do Sul, Acre, Mato Grosso do Sul, Parana and São Paulo.
- 23 year exemption from manufacture: Alagoas.
- 30-year manufacturing exemption: Santa Catarina.
- Progressive opponent: Minas Gerais and Pernambuco.
It should also be noted that in some of these places there are conditions that are exclusive to certain categories of owners, such as persons with disabilities (PwD) and non-profit entities.
“Entrepreneur. Music enthusiast. Lifelong communicator. General coffee aficionado. Internet scholar.”