October 26, 2021
Datafolha: 45% of Brazilians have overdue accounts |  Economie

Datafolha: 45% of Brazilians have overdue accounts | Economie

The Datafolha poll published by the newspaper “Folha de S.Paulo” on Monday (20) showed that 45% of Brazilians currently have debt or an account that is overdue. The remaining 55% have their debts up-to-date.

25% of respondents cited overdue credit card debt. Delayed electricity bill by 22%. of water by 16%.

Other accounts included in the survey are rent or mortgage, 11%; Gas 8% Tuition at school or college, 6%; savings on a car or motorcycle, also 6%; 5% health plan.

By region, the highest rate is in the North/Midwest (53%), followed by the Northeast (48%), the Southeast (42%) and the South (36%).

The number of Brazilians heavily indebted broke a new record in August, according to a survey released Wednesday (25) by the National Federation of Trade in Goods, Services and Tourism (CNC). The survey shows 72.9% of households have some debt, compared to 71.4% in July – an earlier record.

This is the highest and highest percentage since 2010, When the agency opened a survey of consumer indebtedness and default.

The commission estimates that 11.89 million households arrived in August with some kind of debt.

The proportion of households in debt is 5.5 percentage points above August last year and 7.8 points above the pre-pandemic level in February 2020.

“Vulnerabilities in the formal labor market and advances in the informal sector, with a high level of unemployment and high inflation, contribute to an increase in household debt contracting. Other factors such as interest rates that remain relatively low and changes in consumer behavior have also affected the increase in credit contracting, Thus the indebtedness of the country”, highlighted CNC.

Despite the record debt rate, CNC reports that average consumer credit grew 19.2% in the first half of this year – the highest rate since the beginning of 2013.

indebtedness x default

Being in debt does not mean being in default. “By committing to pay an amount in the future, the individual has contracted a debt and owes it. He would be in default if he did not pay the amount by the obligation’s due date,” CNC recalls.

The proportion of overdue households, that is, those with overdue debt or bills, remained at 25.6% in August. A year ago, the rate was 26.7%.

The percentage of those claiming that they will not be able to pay bills and debts that are already overdue and therefore will still be in default next month fell to 10.7%, compared to 10.9% in July and 12.1% one year ago. .

“Even with defaults under control to date, higher interest rates raise the risk of these indicators increasing in the future, in a scenario where constraints prevail over family budgets, especially those with lower incomes,” the entity evaluates.