August 7, 2022
Jornal Opção

Diseases related to sugary drinks lead to SUS 3 billion R$ spent annually

Bill 2183/2019 is pending in the Senate. The text proposes to create a 20% Cide contribution to soft drinks and other ultra-processed drinks – one of the main sources of sugar in the population’s diet, which is associated with the emergence of serious and disabling problems. diseases. Of the amount collected with tribute, 80% will be allocated to the National Health Fund, for use by the SUS. The remaining 20% ​​will be invested in sports and aerobics projects.

The Foundation for Economic Research Institute (Fipe) made the calculations and came to the conclusion that the measure means a contribution of R$ 4.7 billion annually to the public treasury. Also, according to Fipe, the adjustment will lead to a 20% reduction in the consumption of sweetened beverages, which will be replaced by healthy products such as water, natural juice and milk. Expenditures reach R$3 billion annually, highlighting the research “The Hidden Side of Sugary Drinks: Diseases, Mortality and Health Costs”, conducted by the Instituto Efectividad Clinica y Sanitaria (IECS), in Buenos Aires.

Of this total, approximately R$ 140 million is spent on obesity and overweight cases, and R$ 2.8 billion is spent on caring for conditions such as type 2 diabetes, cancer or heart, kidney, cerebrovascular, respiratory, and muscular complications structural.

The increase in taxes on soft drinks and ultra-processed drinks follows World Health Organization (WHO) guidelines and is supported by Brazilian medical associations. About 50 countries impose higher taxes on sweetened beverages – including Portugal, the United Kingdom, France and Mexico. Meanwhile, in Brazil, the Internal Revenue Service estimates that we failed to collect about R$3.8 billion annually in tax incentives granted to soft drink manufacturers.