A young woman died of the disease in the United States naegleria fowleri, the amoeba’s scientific name is “brain eater”. The Nevada State Health District is working on the hypothesis that he was infected earlier this month in Lake Mead, which entered the water from an area located in Arizona, Fox 5 Vegas reported last Wednesday.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed that the disease that infected the patient was caused by the virus naegleria fowleri. The Nevada Health District believes the teenager was infected in the lake because she is often found in rivers, lakes and hot springs. However, Kimberly Franich, the county’s infectious disease manager, noted that reported infections are uncommon, but when they do occur, they usually lead to death.
The amoeba enters the human body through the nose and travels to the brain. It is not spread from person to person and is not contagious if ingested.
Headache, fever, nausea or vomiting, stiff neck, convulsions and coma can lead to death of the patient.
“I want to assure the public that this type of infection is a very rare event, and I know that this is not comforting to your family and friends at this time,” said Dr. Fermin Legun.
“Communicator. Award-winning creator. Certified twitter geek. Music ninja. General web evangelist.”