A California judge ruled on Friday that Google must face a class action lawsuit alleging that the search giant is secretly collecting data from users even when they use its “incognito” mode. Bloomberg mentioned.
Three users He filed a complaint last June Allegedly, Google has a “pervasive data tracking business,” and its tracking continues even if users take steps to protect their private information, such as using Chrome’s incognito mode, or private browsing in Safari and other browsers. The lawsuit is asking for at least $ 5 billion.
Google sought to drop the case, but US District Judge Lucy Koh wrote in her ruling that the company “has not notified users that Google is participating in the alleged data collection while the user is in private browsing mode.”
The company said in a lawsuit that it makes it clear to users that “incognito mode” does not mean “invisible” and that user activity during that session may be visible to the websites they visit and any third-party analytics or advertising services for sites visited. “
Google spokesperson José Castañeda said in an email to The Verge on Saturday that the company opposes the lawsuit allegations and “we will defend ourselves vigorously against it.” He added that the incognito mode in Chrome gives users the option to browse the internet without saving activity on their browser or device. “As we clearly announce every time you open a new incognito tab, websites may be able to collect information about browsing activity during your session.
Google earlier this year said it was Phasing out third-party tracking cookies, He says so Not planning to replace Cookies containing something that may be invasive even though it will affect the company’s advertising activity.
Update March 13th, 4:39 PM ET: Adds a Google spokesperson’s statement