The minister Blais denies having abandoned the house project for seniors with down’s syndrome

La ministre Blais se défend d’avoir abandonné le projet de maison pour aînés trisomiques

The topic of a home for seniors living with trisomy 21 or developmental disabilities is transported to the national Assembly, on Wednesday, while the minister responsible for Seniors, Marguerite Blais, has had to defend herself for wanting to abandon the project.

The Sun reported on Wednesday that the disappointment of the chairman of the House Anne and Charles de Gaulle (formerly the Société québécoise de trisomy 21), Sylvain Fortin, who has got during the election campaign the commitment of Marguerite Blais to defend his project of a private CHSLD agreement and day centre for seniors with trisomy 21 or developmental disabilities and their families.

Sylvain Fortin told us that two months after the arrival of the CAQ to power, the cabinet of the minister Blais would have let us know that the government would not go ahead with the project on the grounds that it did not want to create “ghetto”. Mr. Fortin is income dependent, and ultimately received a letter dated 5 February and signed by the assistant deputy minister, Lyne Jobin informing her that her project was to be presented to the CISSS de Lanaudière.

A few days after receiving this letter, Sylvain Fortin would have learned from the mouth of the member for Terrebonne and the minister of Economy and Innovation, Pierre Fitzgibbon, also the minister responsible for the Lanaudière region, that the project had been entrusted to another body. This “third ground of rejection” was too much for the president of the House Anne and Charles de Gaulle.

“I feel cheated and abused, humiliated. I used it to gain political capital. They were behind us, they are not. It is improvisation and lie on the backs of those who are living with a trisomy 21”, denounced it in our pages.

READ ALSO : The aftermath of the election promises that déchantent

Mr. Fortin is delivered to the fiscal year to submit its project to the CISSS, where it would have been done, the answer was “money, it’s not for any project whatsoever”, and that “the situation of people living with a trisomy 21 is satisfactory”. The institution has not responded to our questions, saying that it wanted to take knowledge of the project before making a decision.

Current project analysis

In response to questions the spokesperson of the official opposition in matters of health, André Fortin, the minister Marguerite Blais said they had “a lot of compassion for Mr. [Sylvain] Fortin”.

“We are experiencing a new situation emerging, children with down’s syndrome who become adults. This is a very important issue. The government is concerned about the aging population and caregivers”, said the minister, while recalling that his government was “in the midst of drafting a national policy on family caregivers”, that eight houses, Gilles-Carle were being developed and that it will set up homes of the elderly. “Yes, we will take account of children adults with down’s syndrome”, she stated.

“The project was the ministry of Health and social Services. He walks now to the CISSS de Lanaudière. It is in the process of being analyzed. And we’ll do everything we can to be able to support all of the parents who have severely disabled children,” assured the minister responsible for Seniors.

“We are going to analyze the project [to M. Fortin]. He asked 70 beds in Terrebonne, up 21 places in a day centre. It also requires that the accommodation is private to the agreements. Then, it is necessary to analyze this situation in order to say yes and look at the whole network,” added Marguerite Blais, not missing to recall that the ex-minister of Health, Gaétan Barrette, had “already had this project on his table”. “He knows the area very well. This is not yesterday that Mr. Fortin wants to have a residence to accommodate both the adults with down syndrome and parents,” she pointed out.

Share Button