If they win or draw with Atlético-GO on Sunday night, in Goiânia, Atlético-MG will reach the imposing mark of 19 games unbeaten in Brazil, something they have earned only three more times in the consecutive points era. But the defeat came with the score (2-1) and the team was on the verge of reaching.
Gallo’s last defeat in Brazil was on June 27, when the team fell to Santos 2-0, at Villa Belmiro. Since then, there have been 14 wins and 4 draws in the competition, feats that have seen the team reclaim the lead.
Hulk in the match against Atlético-GO, in Estádio Antônio Accioly, valid for the 27th round of Brazil – Photo: Heber Gomes / AGIF
Even with the defeat, Atletico are still at the top, but can see the distance to second place, Flamengo, fall back to 8 points in the table. Robro Negro, who hosts Cuiaba at 8:30pm (GMT), in the Maracana, still has a couple of games on hand.
18 consecutive unbeaten games in 2021 equal those held by Gallo in 1986. The record is still the second season in 1977. At that time, there were 21 games won or tied, in the disappointing final that Sao lost. Paulo, on penalties.
Gallo could already score an undefeated round, but the 19th round match against Grêmio, marking the end of the first half, was postponed to November 3.
Most unbeaten Brazilian record (full points)
- Flamengo (2019): 24 matches, 21 wins, 3 draws
- Palmeiras (2018): 23 matches, 17 wins, 6 draws
- Corinthians (2017): 19 games, 14 wins, 5 draws
- Atlético (2021): 18 matches, 14 wins, 4 draws
- Atletico-PR (2004): 18 matches, 12 wins, 6 draws
- Sao Paulo (2008): 18 matches, 12 wins, 6 draws
Indomitable rooster in Brazilian
- 21 games: 17 wins (eight in a row), 4 draws
- 18 matches: 14 wins (nine in a row) and 4 draws
- 18 matches: 12 wins, 6 draws (eight wins in a row)
“Evil analyst. Explorer. Problem solver. Hardcore zombieaholic. Coffee fan. Writer. Bacon aficionado. Friendly reader.”